[School History Logo]

The History of our Public Schools
Wyandotte County, Kansas

1844
2012

 

 

Site Navigation: History Homepage / Biographies Index / Building Index of Libraries and Schools / Ethnic History of Schools / FAQs - Did You Know? / First Things First / Historian's Roundtable of Wyandotte County / Maps and Land Records / One-Room Schoolhouses / Picture Gallery / Publications, Online Transcriptions, Links / Queries / Copyright/Disclaimer

Contact the History Webmaster - Patricia Adams

Page Divider Bar

Louise Mae Alcott School

Location:  1809 Bunker (Northwest corner of 18th Street & Bunker)

Other Names:  Oakland

Architectural Analysis - Public School Buildings (New/Additions) by Rose and Peterson - 1890-1927

SUMMARY

Before 1920 - See information on Oakland School

1920 - Plan to replace Oakland.

1922 - Plans for new building at 18th and Bunker. To be called Louisa M. Alcott for popular children's author.

1909-1925 - Rose/Peterson, Architects - Much sparer in overall design are ten primary and secondary school constructed to meet the demands of a growing population. The use of materials (brick and terra-cotta), frequent application of Classical detailing, and overall plan (which features a two-story rectangular block, three bays wide), are treated similarly in all of these schools. Differing from late nineteenth and early twentieth century design, these schools were planned to provide more light and circulation for the students and staff: Stanley (1913), Whittier II (1919-20), Chelsea II (1921-23), Roosevelt (1922), McKinley, Louisa M. Alcott, and Mark Twain (1922-1924), Major Hudson (1923-24), and Central III (1924) elementary schools and Turner High School, built in 1916-17. The elementary schools were also designed in such a way that they could, if need be, be built in stages, responding to population increases within their service areas.

1923 - September. New brick eight-room building opened. Albert Evans, principal. Old building used as apartment house. Board plans to sell the old site and building.

During the depression era, there was a Thrift Shop at the school where PTA members mended and supplied clothing to city children.

1951 - Overall history on this school's involvement with the 1951 flood.

Sinclair Refining Company was permitted the use of the L. M. Alcott School to issue permits to their employees, and Proctor and Gamble, Mr. Frederic Robinson, was authorized July 19 to set up a first aid station at the L. M. Alcott School for employees.

1971 - Building closed as K-6 school.  Pupils reassigned to Prescott and Frances Willard. Used as Prescott Annex for grades 5-6 until 1977.

1977 - Pupils transferred to new M E Pearson School. Building converted to office use (curriculum center).

1986 - Building housed the Alternative High School for dropouts and students needing only few credits for graduation. Renamed L. M. Alcott High School.

1999 - Building sold.

2002:  March - Purchased from Central Avenue Betterment Association by L M Alcott Arts Foundation.  Mr. Chuck Green is the Board President and General Manager.  They have classes in the arts (theatre, improvisational arts, Saturday morning aerobic class, etc.).  They have a recording center that is almost complete and a remodeled theatre.  The "Wyandot Players" rehearse at times in this building.  Auditions for a feature film are being held there on Saturday, May 29th.  (913) 233-2787 - Address changed in 2003 to 180 S. 18th Street. 

PRINCIPALS

1914-25 - Albert Evans / 1926-28 - Jewell Cock / 1929 - Helen Streeter / 1930 - Grace Herd / 1931-41 - Winifred Rippey / 1942 - Dorothy Espenlaub / 1943 - Lucy Jones / 1944-64 - Mapes Davis / 1964-70 - Pearl Hay / 1970-73 - Sybil Fisher / 1973-75 - Lillie May Budimlija / 1975-77 - Fred Vaughan

Page Divider Bar

site search by freefind advanced

Download Adobe Acrobat ReaderLinks using reader are marked ( pdf ).
Click icon to download reader.
Use browser's back button to return

Contact the History Webmaster - Patricia Adams

History Site created on December 02, 2002
Page last updated: 23-Apr-2014

Visit the KCKs Public Schools Homepage