[School History Logo]

The History of our Public Schools
Wyandotte County, Kansas

1844
2012

 

 

Site Navigation: History Homepage / Biographies Index / Building Index of Libraries and Schools / Ethnic History of Schools / FAQs - Did You Know? / First Things First / Historian's Roundtable of Wyandotte County / Maps and Land Records / One-Room Schoolhouses / Picture Gallery / Publications, Online Transcriptions, Links / Queries / Copyright/Disclaimer

Contact the History Webmaster - Patricia Adams

Page Divider Bar

Carlisle School

Location: Carlisle Road and Speaker Road (Argentine area) (Carlisle Road later renamed 42nd Street)
Section 18, Township 11, Range 25 (Betty Gibson, Pride of the Golden Bear)

Named for:  The name "Carlisle School" was taken from the road (the present 42nd St.) name and this road gained the name from the Carlisle family who settled the area that is now on the s.w. corner of 42nd and Metropolitan.

Building Closed: 1931

"There was a rural or county grade school located on the old Carlisle Road near Kansas Avenue. Carlisle Road has since been renamed 42nd Street. Leo Musil, long time resident of Argentine and Shawnee Township, recalled that this was a county school located in the old District 19. The Carlisle School was a one-room building for farm children of the area and probably had a small enrollment. The Carlisle School was closed in 1931 and the pupils were transferred to the Stanley Elementary School." Submitted by Edwin D. Shutt II

SUMMARY

The following summary timeline is courtesy of Betty Gibson, author of Pride of the Golden Bear, 1981

Prior to 1868:  Carlisle School (District #19) was located in Section 18, Township 11, Range 15 on Carlisle Road (42nd Street) and Speaker Road.

(Officers, Wyandott Gazette, 17 July 1873 - Geo. Fry, Watson Dorman and Henry Boeke)

1880:  School Board election: John O'Connor, Director; George Frey, Treasurer; Henry Boeke, Clerk.  District #19 school did not have a very big attendance and is maintained rather poorly.

1886:  May 27 - The first kiln of brick at the Argentine Brick Yard was delivered.  It was called the Argentine Brick Yard but was actually located near the Carlisle School.

1889-94:  The Argentine Horse Thief League held their meetings in the Carlisle District School building and periodic raids were held from there when dishonest matters were suspected.  "The Horse Thief League from its origin in Argentine had expanded to include men from Turner, all working together to fight the rustling problem."  They met in the District #19 Carlisle School house.

Children from Carlisle competed in the County Spelling Bees.

"District #41 is located south and east of Turner and south of Carlisle.  Their school board at the time of their organization on July 10, 1888 was D. N. Carlisle, Director; August Boeke, Treasurer; N. L. West, Clerk.  District remained independent until 24, 1889 when they were annexed by Argentine.  In 1900, their enrollment was 66; 1905 - 80; 1910 - 60; and before 1916, they had dissolved the District.  Men who served on the board were:  D. A. Beaumont, Director; William Probst, Clerk; and August Boeke, Treasurer the entire life of the district."  [Annotation:  District #41 was the Gibbs/Payne School which would later become Stanley aka New Stanley.]

Enrollment at Carlisle School remained fairly constant:  1900 - 52; 1905 - 49; 1911 - 32; 1916 - 41; 1919 - 49.  In 1920, the enrollment suddenly dropped to 21.

1931:  May - the Sinclair Refining Company experienced grave financial difficulties and closed the plant.  This factor forced the closing of the Carlisle School due to lack of enrollment.

Carlisle School Board Members

Director, Treasurer, Clerk
1873:  George Frye, Henry Boeke, Watson Dorman
1875: Gabriel Philbert, August Boeke, John O'Conner
1878-80: Gabriel Philbert, George Frye, John O'Conner
1880-82: John O'Conner
1883-86: Henry Boeke
1886-95:  Gabriel Philbert
1900-07: William Pedigo, Louis Speaker, J. C. Carothers
1907-09: W. H. Hall
1910-12: Charles Speaker, Josephine Hall
1920: Charles Matney, C. A. Crews, Goldie Matney
1920-31: No available records

PRINCIPALS

1926-27 - Rose Puhr (substitute) / 1927-29 - Katherine Coyne / 1929-31 - Winifred Rippe

Bar Page Divider

If anyone has information on Carlisle, we would sincerely appreciate any items that you are willing to share with us.  We would like to know exactly where Carlisle School was built.  We do know that in "Gould's 1908 City Director for the Greater KC Area", Theophilius G. Jarvis (Gardener) had a business on the SE corner of Kansas Ave and Carlisle Rd; however Carlisle School was not listed in the 1908 directory.

Page Divider Bar

site search by freefind advanced

Download Adobe Acrobat ReaderLinks using reader are marked ( pdf ).
Click icon to download reader.
Use browser's back button to return

Contact the History Webmaster - Patricia Adams

History Site created on December 02, 2002
Page last updated: 23-Apr-2014

Visit the KCKs Public Schools Homepage