[School History Logo]

The History of our Public Schools
Wyandotte County, Kansas

1844
2012

 

 

Site Navigation: History Homepage / Biographies Index / Building Index of Libraries and Schools / Ethnic History of Schools / FAQs - Did You Know? / First Things First / Historian's Roundtable of Wyandotte County / Maps and Land Records / One-Room Schoolhouses / Picture Gallery / Publications, Online Transcriptions, Links / Queries / Copyright/Disclaimer

Contact the History Webmaster - Patricia Adams

Page Divider Bar

Edison School

One-room schoolhouse

Location: 22nd and Lawrence (Argentine)

Built: approximately 1921

Building Closed: 1931

Bar Page Divider

“Centennial History of Argentine”, Kansas City, Kansas 1880-1980
Simmons Funeral Home, Inc.

"The Thomas Edison School is a long since departed school of the Argentine community. The Edison School was located on a hill at 22nd and Lawrence. This was a one-room and a one-teacher school for grades one and two. The school was only in existence from approximately 1921 until its closing in 1931.

A Mrs. Ninemire recollected that the school sat on top a little hill and you had to reach it by walking up a flight of wooden stairs. The Ninemires have resided at 2321 Lawrence since 1925, and sent several children through the Argentine schools. One daughter, Clarabelle, attended the Thomas Edison School. A Miss Mann, the principal at Franklin, had jurisdiction over the school. This lady actively pushed for the school's closing for financial reasons.

The Thomas Edison School had been built in order that the children of the first two grades did not have to be sent a long distance to a grade school. Thomas Edison was closed in 1931 for financial reasons and the children were transferred to Franklin. The Thomas Edison School during its brief existence probably averaged about twenty pupils in enrollment. The old school was located on the site of the present Athletic Station and was torn down before ground was broken for the stadium. Submitted by Edwin D. Shutt II."

This information also located in:
PRESENTING THE PAST by Edwin Dale Shutt, II
History of the Schools:  Part X-Clara Barton, John Fiske, Junction Elementary, J.J. Lewis, Thomas Edison and Carlisle Schools
Silver City Record, Kansas City, KS, 1977

Page Divider Bar

site search by freefind advanced

Download Adobe Acrobat ReaderLinks using reader are marked ( pdf ).
Click icon to download reader.
Use browser's back button to return

Contact the History Webmaster - Patricia Adams

History Site created on December 02, 2002
Page last updated: 23-Apr-2014

Visit the KCKs Public Schools Homepage