[School History Logo]

The History of our Public Schools
Wyandotte County, Kansas

1844
2012

 

 

Site Navigation: History Homepage / Biographies Index / Building Index of Libraries and Schools / Ethnic History of Schools / FAQs - Did You Know? / First Things First / Historian's Roundtable of Wyandotte County / Maps and Land Records / One-Room Schoolhouses / Picture Gallery / Publications, Online Transcriptions, Links / Queries / Copyright/Disclaimer

Contact the History Webmaster - Patricia Adams

Page Divider Bar

Gibbs/Payne School

Old Stanley - originally Gibbs and Payne SchoolLocation: southwest corner of 38th & Metropolitan

Year built: 1889

Other names: Stanley Grade School, New Stanley

Building destroyed: September 5, 1912

 

 

“Centennial History of Argentine”, Kansas City, Kansas 1880-1980
Simmons Funeral Home, Inc.

"The Stanley Grade School was built in 1889 on land purchased from the legal guardian of George Washington. Washington was the son of a Shawnee Indian named White Feather. The original school was called the Gibbs and Payne School and consisted of four rooms. Gibbs and Payne were land developers and prominent early citizens of Argentine and the school was located in the old Gibbs and Payne Addition of Argentine. This structure burned on September 5, 1912."   Submitted by Edwin D. Shutt II.

John and Elmira Gibbspg. 113:  "John Gibbs, Jr. was born February 22, 1835 in Kalamozoo County, Michigan.  He was the sixth child of the thirteen children born to John Gibbs, Sr. and Miranda Kinney.

John Gibbs, Jr. traveled by train to Jefferson County, Kansas in October of 1855.  He worked as a surveyor until 1856.  He bought a claim in Jefferson County in 1856.  He also bought land in Franklin and Shawnee Counties.  He joined the Colorado Gold rush in 1859 and was in the Leadville area.  He operated a general store for about two years and also worked for a time in a gold mine, spending the better part of four years in that area.  In 1863 he went from Denver with an ox team to Virginia City arriving there in July.  He mined in Montana until October, 1864.

In October John and nine other men went by row boat on the Missouri River to Omaha.  He had been successful in mining out $30,000 in gold dust.  After having his gold dust minted in the East he returned to Wyandotte County in the spring of 1865 and purchased 160 acres from the Indians at about 48th and Gibbs Road, expanding his holdings until they included most of the land bounded on the east at 47th St.  What is now Locust on the south, 53rd St. on the west (at that time known as John Gibbs Road) and Douglas on the north.

On May 30, 1878, he married Elmira Holsinger, daughter of William Mack and Catherine Holsinger.  Elmira was educated at the State Normal School in Emporia, Kansas and taught in the public schools for ten years prior to her marriage to John Gibbs, Jr.

They have five children:  John W., born in 1881, Katie Elmira, born March 20, 1884, John Franklin, born December 26, 1886, infant died at birth, 1888, Mary Miranda, born December 13, 1890 and Susie Ann born January 1, 1895.

John Gibbs, Jr. was instrumental in forming the Oak Grove School District and served on the school board.  He leased to the school district free of charges one acre of ground located now at what is known as the northwest corner of Key Lane and Gibbs Road for ninety-nine years.  On this plot of ground the first Oak Grove School was built.

John Gibbs, Major Frank Holsinger, Leslie Coby, John Matney and possible formed the Cemetery Association known as the Maple Hill Cemetery.  Year unknown.

June 4, 1886, John Gibbs, Jr. and his partner, Thomas J. Payne, plated the Gibbs and Payne's addition to Argentine.  This increased the size of Argentine considerably.

At about the same time John Gibbs, Jr. developed another tract of ground known as Ridgeview.  This development lies on both sides of Key Lane (originally Ridgeview Road) between Gibbs Road and Douglas Avenue.  Mr. Gibbs plotted this in seven acre tracts for the urban dweller.

John Gibbs, Jr. was proud of the fact that he cast his first vote for Abraham Lincoln and his last vote was for Teddy Roosevelt.

His wife, Elmira, who was born August 18, 1850, at Covington, Ohio died January 17, 1912.  He followed her in death May 3, 1917.  Both were buried in the Maple Hill Cemetery."    Submitted by Ed Alvey.

Page Divider Bar

site search by freefind advanced

Download Adobe Acrobat ReaderLinks using reader are marked ( pdf ).
Click icon to download reader.
Use browser's back button to return

Contact the History Webmaster - Patricia Adams

History Site created on December 02, 2002
Page last updated: 23-Apr-2014

Visit the KCKs Public Schools Homepage