[School History Logo]

The History of our Public Schools
Wyandotte County, Kansas

1844
2012

 

 

Site Navigation: History Homepage / Biographies Index / Building Index of Libraries and Schools / Ethnic History of Schools / FAQs - Did You Know? / First Things First / Historian's Roundtable of Wyandotte County / Maps and Land Records / One-Room Schoolhouses / Picture Gallery / Publications, Online Transcriptions, Links / Queries / Copyright/Disclaimer

Contact the History Webmaster - Patricia Adams

Page Divider Bar

Grant School

One-Room Schoolhouse

Location:

Developers of this black community of the city were the Hogg Brothers.  The Jerusalem Baptist Church and one grocery store were the center of the area.  Anyone living in that area (according to the racial restriction in their covenant) was that one member of the family be of black descent.  Loren L. Taylor

School was probably named for Bishop Abraham Grant.

Architectural Blue Prints and/or Plot Plan of School Building

SUMMARY

1910 - August 15: Building at "Hoggstown" (vicinity of Kensington Park) rented for $100 pear year and repairs. Sometimes location given as 29th and State or 29th and Nebraska.

1911 - Grant School - located on Nebraska Avenue, between 29th and 30th Street (25th annual report) - enrollment 25. E. W. Thompson, first teacher.

1915 - No more references to school after this year.

1916 - School closed and building torn down to make room for Kensington Park.

PRINCIPALS

1910-11 - E. W. Thompson / 1911-13 - Leota Wilson; 1913-16 - Mary Green

Page Divider Bar

site search by freefind advanced

Download Adobe Acrobat ReaderLinks using reader are marked ( pdf ).
Click icon to download reader.
Use browser's back button to return

Contact the History Webmaster - Patricia Adams

History Site created on December 02, 2002
Page last updated: 23-Apr-2014

Visit the KCKs Public Schools Homepage