[School History Logo]

The History of our Public Schools
Wyandotte County, Kansas

1844
2012

 

 

Site Navigation: History Homepage / Biographies Index / Building Index of Libraries and Schools / Ethnic History of Schools / FAQs - Did You Know? / First Things First / Historian's Roundtable of Wyandotte County / Maps and Land Records / One-Room Schoolhouses / Picture Gallery / Publications, Online Transcriptions, Links / Queries / Copyright/Disclaimer

Contact the History Webmaster - Patricia Adams

Page Divider Bar

Horace Mann School

Location: 

Horace Mann - later KCKs Junior CollegeOther Name:  Later became Kansas City, KS Junior College

Architectural Analysis - Public School Buildings (New/Additions) by Rose and Peterson - 1890-1927

Architectural Blue Prints and/or Plot Plan of School Building

SUMMARY

1909 - February 1: Twelve-room building planned on State Avenue between Eighth and Ninth Streets. Architect: W. W. Rose

1895-1909 - W. W. Rose, Architect - The remaining schools designed by Rose alone are, for the most part, unrestrained interpretations of Classical styles. This group of structures includes Lowell Elementary (1897-98) and Irving Elementary (1900), two schools of comparable design which incorporate towers into the overall theme; Eugene Field (1900), similar to Lowell and Irving but with minimum articulation; Whittier Elementary (1908), Dunbar Elementary (1908), Hawthorne Elementary (1908-09), and Horace Mann Elementary (1909) which employ Classical detailing to otherwise moderately articulated facades; and Cooper Elementary (1904), which remains the most modest design from this period of Rose's Career.

April 5: School called Horace Mann for noted educator.

April 26: A. J. Hibbs awarded contract for ten rooms.

1910 - Horace Mann made into new district. Leila Moore, first principal. Had ten rooms, eight grades, and nine teachers. Among first teachers were Anna Randles, Laura Fitch, Olive Perley, and Margaret Hyde.

1911 - January: Building first occupied.

1912 - PTA organized. First president was either Mrs. Griffith or Mrs. Alden.

1915 - First Camp Fire group in city organized by Miss Lucy McCoy, principal.

1920 - Kindergarten opened.

1931 - Cadet Center. Helen Streeter, Director.  Kansas City University students.

1939 - Discontinued as an elementary school at close of 1938-39 school year.

Five-room addition on east. Junior College to occupy building.

PRINCIPALS

1909-13 - Leila Moore / 1913-29 - Lucy McCoy / 1929-30 - Fay Betty Iba / 1930-38 - Helen Streeter / 1938-39 - Frances McDermott / 1939 - School closed - Used for Junior College

Page Divider Bar

site search by freefind advanced

Download Adobe Acrobat ReaderLinks using reader are marked ( pdf ).
Click icon to download reader.
Use browser's back button to return

Contact the History Webmaster - Patricia Adams

History Site created on December 02, 2002
Page last updated: 23-Apr-2014

Visit the KCKs Public Schools Homepage