[School History Logo]

The History of our Public Schools
Wyandotte County, Kansas

1844
2012

 

 

Site Navigation: History Homepage / Biographies Index / Building Index of Libraries and Schools / Ethnic History of Schools / FAQs - Did You Know? / First Things First / Historian's Roundtable of Wyandotte County / Maps and Land Records / One-Room Schoolhouses / Picture Gallery / Publications, Online Transcriptions, Links / Queries / Copyright/Disclaimer

Contact the History Webmaster - Patricia Adams

Page Divider Bar

Horanif School in 1986Horanif School

One-room schoolhouse

Horanif School in 1986.  Picture courtesy of Rugh Grueninger of KCKs. 

(Note:  Bill Gregg, local historian, tells us that although the school was named Horanif, it was pronounced "horn - if" and named after the land owner - a Mr. Horn - whom the land was secured from.)

Other Names:  Common School District No. 36

Class at Horanif - Common School Dist #36Location: 

(Officers, Wyandott Gazette, 17 July 1873 - John W. Evans, James Ursery and John Blankenship)

1962:  Became part of Washington District #201

1963:  The first library in western Wyandotte County started with a donation of $20,000.00 from the Junior League. The library was housed at the old stone Horanif School site (2,500 square feet of space) at 98th and State Avenue. The library remained at this location until it was transferred to Wyandotte Plaza Shopping Center in 1971. The library later became West Wyandotte Branch Library at 1737 N. 82 nd Street.  West Wyandotte Branch Library

1967:  January 1:  Part of Unified School District #201 attached to Kansas City, Kansas Public Schools in January of 1967 as a result of vote by Washington USD 201 patrons.

The property was sold approximately in 1986.

Page Divider Bar

site search by freefind advanced

Download Adobe Acrobat ReaderLinks using reader are marked ( pdf ).
Click icon to download reader.
Use browser's back button to return

Contact the History Webmaster - Patricia Adams

History Site created on December 02, 2002
Page last updated: 23-Apr-2014

Visit the KCKs Public Schools Homepage