[School History Logo]

The History of our Public Schools
Wyandotte County, Kansas

1844
2012

 

 

Site Navigation: History Homepage / Biographies Index / Building Index of Libraries and Schools / Ethnic History of Schools / FAQs - Did You Know? / First Things First / Historian's Roundtable of Wyandotte County / Maps and Land Records / One-Room Schoolhouses / Picture Gallery / Publications, Online Transcriptions, Links / Queries / Copyright/Disclaimer

Contact the History Webmaster - Patricia Adams

Page Divider Bar

Irving School

Location: 

Other Names:  McAlpine

Architectural Analysis - Public School Buildings (New/Additions) by Rose and Peterson - 1890-1927

Architectural Blue Prints and/or Plot Plan of School Building

SUMMARY

Irving School1886 - August 16: Alfred Weston and wife deeded to Board of Education, Lots 16-19, Block 2, McAlpine's Addition to old Wyandotte. Listed as on Parnell between Ninth and Walnut Streets, now Riverview, Ninth and Mill. Street north listed as Livingstone, now Reynolds.

August 20: P H Knoblock, contractor for two-room frame with stove heat.

November: Extra work on building too expensive. Architect employed to estimate cost. One of nine schools in 1886. Named McAlpine for location in McAlpine Addition. McAlpine's Addition named for Nicholas Mc Alpine.

1889 - Only first four grades in building. Contractor Knoblock won case against board for money for extra work.

1894 - December 10: School closed because of diphtheria.

1900 - May: Contract for four-room buff brick building to F A Thompson. Will have a heating system. Old building sold and torn down. School closed May 10. (Old building was formerly called McAlpine.) Architect was W. W. Rose and address listed as 906 Riverview Ave.  (Rose and Peterson Architects, 1994)

1895-1909 - W. W. Rose, Architect - The remaining schools designed by Rose alone are, for the most part, unrestrained interpretations of Classical styles. This group of structures includes Lowell Elementary (1897-98) and Irving Elementary (1900), two schools of comparable design which incorporate towers into the overall theme; Eugene Field (1900), similar to Lowell and Irving but with minimum articulation; Whittier Elementary (1908), Dunbar Elementary (1908), Hawthorne Elementary (1908-09), and Horace Mann Elementary (1909) which employ Classical detailing to otherwise moderately articulated facades; and Cooper Elementary (1904), which remains the most modest design from this period of Rose's Career.

August 22: Herman Koenig deeded Lot 15, Block 2, to Board of Education. School named on April 30. To be called Irving in honor of Washington Irving. Occupied September 1900. Crowded and had to use basement room.

1902 - May 19: Contract to F A Thompson for four-room addition.

September 5: School crowded.

1907 - Purchased lot east of building.

1908 - Electric lights installed.  Manual Training School at Irving moved to Whittier School.

1920 - Kindergarten organized.

1930 - Cadet center for Teachers' College. Miss Anna Erickson, director.

1939 - Irving closed. Children reassigned to Lowell.

1942 - City Planning Commission recommended school be abandoned.

1951 - The old Irving site between Ninth and Tenth on Riverview, abandoned in 1940, was sold to R. McCulley who planned to use the ground for a flood housing project.

PRINCIPALS

1888-91 - Sally Hutzell (resigned Dec 1891) / 1891-99 - Mary Collins / 1900 - Edward F Taylor (Resigned Sept 1901) / 1903 - A J Farley / 1904 - J R Newton or A J Farley / 1905 - J R Newton / 1906-08 - F D Tracy / 1908-24 - Esther Mead / 1924-29 - Nelle James / 1929-36 - Mildred Meeker / 1936-39 - Helen Boner / 1939 - School closed

Page Divider Bar

15th Annual Report of the Board of Education of the City of Kansas City, Kansas for the year Ending June 30, 1901:  p. 81, Seven grades, six room brick, Riverview Avenue, between Tenth Street and Mill Street.  Boundary - Beginning at the junction of Grandview Avenue and Ridge Avenue, thence west to Mill Street, thence south to Central Avenue, thence west to Tenth Street, thence north to Reynolds Avenue, thence east to Seventh Street, thence south to Northrup Avenue, thence east to Missouri Pacific tracks, thence South to Tenney Avenue, thence west to Seventh Street, thence south to Riverview Avenue, thence southwest on Grandview Avenue to point of beginning.  A. J. Farley, Principal

Ward Boundaries

Page Divider Bar

site search by freefind advanced

Download Adobe Acrobat ReaderLinks using reader are marked ( pdf ).
Click icon to download reader.
Use browser's back button to return

Contact the History Webmaster - Patricia Adams

History Site created on December 02, 2002
Page last updated: 23-Apr-2014

Visit the KCKs Public Schools Homepage