[School History Logo]

The History of our Public Schools
Wyandotte County, Kansas

1844
2012

 

 

Site Navigation: History Homepage / Biographies Index / Building Index of Libraries and Schools / Ethnic History of Schools / FAQs - Did You Know? / First Things First / Historian's Roundtable of Wyandotte County / Maps and Land Records / One-Room Schoolhouses / Picture Gallery / Publications, Online Transcriptions, Links / Queries / Copyright/Disclaimer

Contact the History Webmaster - Patricia Adams

Page Divider Bar

Kansas City University

Location: 3301 Parallel

Buildings: Currently owned by V. Lindsay 7th Day Adventist

(Not actually public schools, but a part of the Kansas City community)

Page Divider Bar

Kansas City University.—This institution, located in Kansas City, Kan., comprises seven departments or schools, each having its own faculty, with courses of study leading to appropriate degrees. These schools are, Mather College, School of Theology, College of Music, Kansas City Normal School, Wilson High School, School of Elocution and Oratory, and Kansas City Hahnemann Medical College. Mather College is situated on the university ground in the suburbs of Kansas City. It owes its existence to Dr. Samuel Fielding Mather, a descendent of Cotton Mather. About a year before his death he made a proposition to a board of trustees, appointed by the general conference of the Methodist Protestant church, to convey to this board certain valuable tracts of land in the suburbs of Kansas City, providing a building or buildings should be erected before Oct. 15, 1896, costing not less than $25,000 The offer was accepted on the last day of May, 1895, just a few hours before Dr. Mather died. His will gave the residue of his estate to the contemplated college, provided the board of trustees fulfilled their part of the agreement.

On Sept. 23, 1896, the building known as Mather Hall was opened to students. In 1910 there were three buildings and plans made for the erection of three more. H. J. Heinz, of Pittsburg, Pa., has contributed $10,000 toward a dormitory, as a memorial to his wife. The business affairs of the university are under the management of 24 trustees, 12 of whom are elected quadrennially for a term of eight years. These trustees elect an endowment board of 16 persons who have charge of the invested funds. The course of study in the college leads to a Bachelor of Arts degree and is open to both men and women.

The Wilson High School occupies a new building erected in 1907 at a cost of $25,000. It offers six courses of study, classical, the philosophical, and scientific courses, which admit students to the college; an English course, a teacher's course, and a business course are provided for students not expecting to attend college. The College of Elocution and Oratory presents facilities for instruction in the art of speaking, and is located in Kansas City, Mo. The Hahnemann Medical College is also located in Kansas City, Mo. It has been in existence about twenty years and offers courses leading to the degrees of M. D., B. S. and Ph. D.

The Kansan
January 30, 1923

"PARENTS CONTRIBUTE TO SAVE WILSON H.S.

PATRONS GET BEHIND INSTITUTION AND PREVENT CLOSING; KLAN GIVES $200

Wilson high school will continue, school officials announced today, following a second meeting of parents last night at the school.

Of the $3,000 estimated as needed for teachers' salaries, the remainder of the year, a total of $2,000 has been pledged. A subscription of $200 was made last night by Wyandotte Klan No. 5, Ku Klux Klan. The money was enclosed in a letter sent to Wilson high school in care of the principal, C. O. Braden. The letter stated the Wyandotte Klan had been informed that the school needed funds, and desired the officials to accept the money in order to further the good work of the school.

The money was accepted by the school authorities and parents.

The $3,000 will be used for salaries, L. C. Kline, financial manager of Kansas City university, said today, as the expenses of Wilson high school, such as light, heat, and repairs, are paid by the university. Kline will canvas Kansas City to obtain $500 necessary to raise the total of the required sum.

The committee to discuss the advisability of establishing a new rural high school will meet tonight at the school.

A survey of the seven rural school districts in the northeastern action of Wyandotte county will be made with the purpose of establishing a rural high school, according to Miss Olive Thompson, county superintendent. The districts are Welborn, Nearman, Vance, Hazel Grove, Pomeroy, White Church and district No. 5, known as Muncie. Wilson high school's district is too small to give the school sufficient funds for maintenance."

The catalogue for 1910-11 gives the following enrollment: Mather College 30, Wilson High School 149, School of Oratory 198, Normal School 10, Hahnemann Medical College 68, School of Theology 13; those counted twice 23, making a total of 435 students.

Page 53 from volume II of Kansas: a cyclopedia of state history, embracing events, institutions, industries, counties, cities, towns, prominent persons, etc. ... / with a supplementary volume devoted to selected personal history and reminiscence. Standard Pub. Co. Chicago : 1912. 3 v. in 4. : front., ill., ports.; 28 cm. Vols. I-II edited by Frank W. Blackmar. Transcribed July 2002 by Carolyn Ward.

Page Divider Bar

On January 13, 1935, the campus and buildings were acquired by the Order of Augustinian Recollects, a Catholic monastic order, and renamed the Monastery of St. Augustine.

The old university was established at Lecompton in 1865.  The first building was erected on the foundation intended for a territorial capitol building.  It was named for General James H. Lane.  Later the school moved to Holton, and in 1913 to Kansas.  Wilson High School, a county school, was located at the college.  York College at York, Nebraska, is a successor to old the Kansas City University.

"Lane University, located at Lecompton, Kan., was founded by Rev. Solomon Weaver in Jan., 1865. A regular corps of instructors was organized under state laws and the establishment of the institution was approved by the United Brethren church, which owned and controlled the school during its entire history. It was named in honor of James H. Lane, United States senator from Kansas, who was to endow the college but did not live to carry out his promise. Mr. Weaver was the first president of the college, holding that position two years. The first property owned by the institution was the Rowena hotel, which was built during territorial days, when Lecompton was the capital of Kansas. The 13 acres of ground and the foundation of the old capitol building at Lecompton were donated to Lane University by the state in 1865, and in 1882 a college building was erected on the south half of the old foundation. During the early days of the college its support was meager but the fourth annual conference of the United Brethren church, in Kansas and Oklahoma, began to improve the institution. In 1891 Rev. Charles M. Brooke, A. M., was elected president and the school enlarged to embrace model preparatory, normal, commercial and college departments, a divinity school and special departments of music and elocution. The faculty consisted of eleven persons in 1900, with 178 students enrolled. In 1902 Lane University was united with Campbell University to form Campbell College (q. v.). "  Pages 103-104 from volume II of Kansas: a cyclopedia of state history, embracing events, institutions, industries, counties, cities, towns, prominent persons, etc. ... / with a supplementary volume devoted to selected personal history and reminiscence. Standard Pub. Co. Chicago : 1912. 3 v. in 4. : front., ill., ports.; 28 cm. Vols. I-II edited by Frank W. Blackmar.

Page Divider Bar

site search by freefind advanced

Download Adobe Acrobat ReaderLinks using reader are marked ( pdf ).
Click icon to download reader.
Use browser's back button to return

Contact the History Webmaster - Patricia Adams

History Site created on December 02, 2002
Page last updated: 23-Apr-2014

Visit the KCKs Public Schools Homepage