[School History Logo]

The History of our Public Schools
Wyandotte County, Kansas

1844
2012

 

 

Site Navigation: History Homepage / Biographies Index / Building Index of Libraries and Schools / Ethnic History of Schools / FAQs - Did You Know? / First Things First / Historian's Roundtable of Wyandotte County / Maps and Land Records / One-Room Schoolhouses / Picture Gallery / Publications, Online Transcriptions, Links / Queries / Copyright/Disclaimer

Contact the History Webmaster - Patricia Adams

Page Divider Bar

Long School - 1901Long School

Other Names: Longfellow School - See web site for Longfellow for history. 

Architectural Analysis - Public School Buildings (New/Additions) by Rose and Peterson - 1890-1927

 

 

 

Location:

Blue Flash Bar Page Divider

SUMMARY

1886 - Completion of old "L" or dummy road out 5th Street to Edgerton Place in northeast section of city brought need for school. Area filled quickly with fine homes.

1887 - Only available place was station at 5th & Lafayette (a railway barn). Owned by railway company. One teacher, Miss Clark. Land company donated site. No money for teachers, but warrants could be issued. (Warrant: a short-term obligation of a governmental body (as a municipality) issued in anticipation of revenue, Merriam-Webster online)

1888 - June 7 - July 2: Deeded by John Long and wife to BOE, Lots 22-32, Block 2, 3/4 part Lots 11 and 12, Block 6, of Long Brothers Addition to Edgerton Place, Kansas City, Kansas. (One record says land given, another says $7000 paid.)

July 2: W W Rose, architect. Contract to L G Ferguson for four-room brick building on North 6th Street between Quindaro and Haskell. Listed also near Waverly.  Building designed by W. F. Hackney.

Located in Long's Addition. Probably named for Long Brothers. Also said to be named for a Mr. Long, wholesale grocer, who was active in securing site.

School had well 76 feet deep.

November 12: Building completed. Was north wing of later building. Mr. Allen, first principal. Teachers waited until next legislative session to have salary notes legalized.

Edgerton Park at Third and Edgerton was the meeting place for boys of the district.  It became affectionately known as the "Old Bums' Park" because of the indolent type of activity carried on there.  In later years, however, the Bums twice defeated Casey Stengel when he brought his team from Kansas City, Missouri, to play at Edgerton Park.

1889 - June 24: Contract for first addition to J L Davidson and Brothers. Four-room brick.

1890 - February 13. Edgerton Place Depot and the Pyle Building rented for classrooms. Hall in building also in use.

August 18. Contract for second addition to L G Ferguson. Four rooms.

September. First primary had 125 pupils. Two other rooms 75 each.

1891 - Enrollment 650, too large for twelve teachers.

1892 - Boundary between Everett and Long changed for Northwest tracks to Virginia Avenue.

1894 - School had 13 rooms. Some accounts say addition added, but no details given.

October. Superintendent recommended renting old Stewart Building at 9th & Quindaro.

1895 - September. Long has 47 children without desks for them.

1897 - Substitutes helping in primary grades.

1899 - September. Room rented at 3rd & Lafayette.

1900 - Long Taxpayers League in protest.

April 2. School closed because of smallpox next door.

1901 - Building of Eugene Field relieved crowded conditions at Long.

On September 3, 1903, the name of Long School was changed to LongfellowThe History of the Kansas City, Kansas Public Schools by Nellie McGuinn.   See information on Longfellow web page for continued information.

PRINCIPALS

1887 - Miss Clark (one teacher) / 1888 - Mr. Allen or T H Fertig / 1889-93 - C W Nowlin / 1893-94 - M E Pearson or C W Nowlin / 1894-1904 - M E Pearson / See Longfellow Principals

Blue Flash Bar Page Divider

"It was on the northeast corner of Sixth Street and Rowland Avenue where Dunbar North was constructed.  [Annotation:  Originally called simply Dunbar School.  It did not become Dunbar North until the annex, Dunbar South, was added.]  This area which was located in the northeast part of kansas City, Kansas was also known as "Rattle Bone Hollow."  There are many interesting stories that relate how the name of "Rattle Bone Hollow" came about, but none of these stories are of historical value, therefore, the stories will not be mentioned at this time.  The first section of Dunbar was completed in 1905.  It was a four room structure, and at time there were four teachers.  They grades ran one through eight.  The first principal was Laura Harland and the four faculty members were Lizzie Davis, Mayme Brown, Evelyn Wake and Ethel Barksdale.  From 1906 to 1913, Mr. Harvey Thompkins took the helm as principal of Dunbar.  From 1913 to 1930, Ella V. Robinson was the principal.  Melonee Anderson followed Ella V. Robinson as principal of Dunbar Elementary School.  Later, Sirpora Miller became principal of Dunbar Elementary School.

In 1920, six rooms and two lavatories were added to the main building.  In 1930, a large retaining wall was built around the east and south sides of the playground.  Today the retaining wall still stands.  By 1938, the Board of Education finally found the need for covering the entire playground with asphalt.  The old gravel playground was no longer responsible for wearing out shoes and scarring little knees.  A kindergarten building was added in the early 1920's.

Some of the most distinguished teachers at Dunbar North were Evalena Hunt,  Pauline Turner, Delthea New, Bertha Flowers, Bernice Wilson, Helen Barksdale, Margaret Wright, Lucille Raymond, Charlotte Hayden, Lillian Groomer, Nadine Stppe, Adabooth Penn and Myrtle Phelps.  These famous teachers were probably remembered by most students who attended Dunbar School from 1925 through 1935.

Prior to 1939, the history of Dunbar South School was very interesting.  The original building was known as the Long School.  It was in 1886 when the northeast part of Kansas City, Kansas was known as Edgerton Place.  There was a railway known as the "L" that traveled north on Fifth Street to the area that was known as Edgerton Place.  There was great need for a school in that section that once was used by the operators of the "L".  This old station was named by the Board of Education as the Long School.  Records, indicate that the name of Long School was changed from Long School to Longfellow School.  Longfellow School was for White students only until the year of 1939.  It was then that the Longfellow School was closed.

In the fall of 1939, however, the old Longfellow School was reopened to ease the overcrowded condition at Dunbar North.  This time the school was given the name of Dunbar South.  Records still show that the Longfellow (Dunbar South) School was located at Sixth Street and Waverly Avenue.  Actually, the school ground of Dunbar South began at the corner of Sixth and Greeley Avenue.  The school stood where Waverly Avenue would have been had it not been closed off at Fifth Street.  The lot still stands today where the school was located.  Dunbar South building was used by government agencies, while the upper floor of the building was used for school children.  The Dunbar South building was permanently closed and razed in 1974."

A History of Black Education in Kansas City, Kansas, Readin', 'Riting, 'Rithmetic by William W. Boone, March 1986 (Copy located in the KCKs Public Library, 625 Minnesota Ave, KCKs, 913-551-3280).  The school district is sincerely grateful to Mr. William W. Boone, Ms. Josephine C. Vandiver, and Mr. Jackson C. Van Trece for their research and preparation of this material.   (Check the Biographies Index on the site map to view bios on these three people.)

This represents an excerpt from the manuscript/book as it was presented, including terminology used at the time of the writing.  All attempts have been made to reproduce the spelling, capitalization and layout of the original manuscript/book as much as possible.

Disclaimer:  The written historical perspectives online at this web site, and web sites to which links are provided, reflect the view of the author(s)/(creator(s) which are protected under the rights of free speech; and do "not" necessarily reflect the views of the Kansas City, Kansas Board of Education.

Copyright Notice: In keeping with the policy of providing free information on the Internet, this data may be used by non-commercial entities for research/information. These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format for profit or other gain. Printing for personal research use is encouraged, as long as this "copyright notice" is kept with the copy. Other use, including publication, storage in a retrieval system, or transmission by electronic, mechanical, or other means requires the written approval of the author(s) of this works.

Ward Boundaries

Page Divider Bar

site search by freefind advanced

Download Adobe Acrobat ReaderLinks using reader are marked ( pdf ).
Click icon to download reader.
Use browser's back button to return

Contact the History Webmaster - Patricia Adams

History Site created on December 02, 2002
Page last updated: 23-Apr-2014

Visit the KCKs Public Schools Homepage