[School History Logo]

The History of our Public Schools
Wyandotte County, Kansas

1844
2012

 

 

Site Navigation: History Homepage / Biographies Index / Building Index of Libraries and Schools / Ethnic History of Schools / FAQs - Did You Know? / First Things First / Historian's Roundtable of Wyandotte County / Maps and Land Records / One-Room Schoolhouses / Picture Gallery / Publications, Online Transcriptions, Links / Queries / Copyright/Disclaimer

Contact the History Webmaster - Patricia Adams

Page Divider Bar

Lowell School
(Argentine Area)

Picture Gallery

Location: City of Argentine, corner of 2nd Street and Elmwood Avenue

Due to change in street names since 1884, this location is 22nd and Elmwood Avenue in 2003.  Argentine High School, in 2003, sits on the corner of 22nd and Ruby.  Ruby Avenue is one block north of what was Elmwood Avenue.

The Lowell Grade School was the first school built in Argentine. It was only in operation for a few years at 22nd and Ruby. When the high school was started at that location, the grade school was used as part of that facility. Children of the east end of Argentine attended Lowell and it quickly became overcrowded. Land was purchased in 1898 from the Kansas Town Company for the building of a new school (Franklin). "Silver City, A History of the Argentine Community of Kansas City, Kansas," Edwin D Shutt II.

Classes for African American children were held downstairs while the classes for white students were held upstairs.

Blue Flash Bar Page Divider

SUMMARY

1884 - Two-year high school course was begun in what was then the Lowell Grade School located on Elmwood near the s.w. corner of 2nd Street. (See Argentine also for history information.)

1903 - June: Used as clothing depot of Relief Committee during flood. Address listed as corner Second Street and Elmwood Avenue

1905 - Argentine Board estimated cost of fitting up high school rooms in Lowell.

September: Superintendent to have room fitted for office.

In 1908, the west section of the Argentine High School was completed; erected on the site of the old Lowell building at 22nd and Ruby. 

1910:  Became part of the KCKs school district.

PRINCIPALS

1893-94 - Emma Black / 1894 - Brice Logan / 1897 - C B Hogan / 1898 - Frank Agrelius / 1899 - Miss Chamberlin / 1901 - Mrytle Allen, Paul E Laird / 1902-04 - Paul E Laird / 1904-05 - Rose McIllwain / 1905-06 - Nora Rhoades / 1909 - Edna G Wamsley - 1910 - Closed after Argentine was annexed into KCKs.

Page Divider Bar

site search by freefind advanced

Download Adobe Acrobat ReaderLinks using reader are marked ( pdf ).
Click icon to download reader.
Use browser's back button to return

Contact the History Webmaster - Patricia Adams

History Site created on December 02, 2002
Page last updated: 23-Apr-2014

Visit the KCKs Public Schools Homepage