[School History Logo]

The History of our Public Schools
Wyandotte County, Kansas

1844
2012

 

 

Site Navigation: History Homepage / Biographies Index / Building Index of Libraries and Schools / Ethnic History of Schools / FAQs - Did You Know? / First Things First / Historian's Roundtable of Wyandotte County / Maps and Land Records / One-Room Schoolhouses / Picture Gallery / Publications, Online Transcriptions, Links / Queries / Copyright/Disclaimer

Contact the History Webmaster - Patricia Adams

Page Divider Bar

Oakland School

Oakland SchoolOne Room Schoolhouse

Picture Gallery

Other Names:  See L. M. Alcott

Architectural Blue Prints and/or Plot Plan of School Building

Location: 

Blue Flash Bar Page Divider

SUMMARY

1886 - Before Kansas City, KS consolidation in 1886, Oakland was a county school in District 9 and located on 16th Street, just a little north of Muncie Boulevard.  (Some accounts say an early school was the first District 9 school at Riverview, and that it was located in Armstrong before moving to 16th and Muncie Road.  Parts of the old Muncie Road later turned into Minnesota Avenue, such as the area that is now 25th & Minnesota, after 1887.)

When the new city was formed, the school was moved to 21st and Muncie.  A one-room frame was built west of Eighteenth Street.  Dr. J. E. Kammeyer, first teacher.  The school was named because of the large oaks in the area.

1888 - June 14. The Board empowered the Interstate Investment Company to sell the old 16th and Muncie Road school for $10,000.  The cable cars ran west on Central Avenue from Riverview to the section known as Grandview.  

Background of the Interstate Investment Company:  James I. Reynolds was born in West Liberty, Ohio, on April 25, 1846. At the age of 16 he went into business with his uncle, a grain and seed merchant. He served in the Union Army while still in his teens, and was made a partner in his uncle's business in 1866. Following his uncle's retirement, Reynolds relocated to Kansas City, Missouri in search of new business opportunities. In January, 1872, the firm of Trumbull and Reynolds was organized, and in 1873 became Trumbull, Reynolds and Allen, seed jobbers and manufacturers of hay machinery. In 1883, the firm built a factory in Armourdale, and this may have been the beginning of Reynolds' interest in development in Kansas.

Reynolds began investing in real estate soon after his arrival in Kansas City. By 1886, he was on the board of directors for a number of banks and investment companies, and following consolidation he became heavily involved in development in Kansas City, Kansas. The Interstate Investment Company was organized in May, 1886, with Reynolds as president and Kansas City, Missouri businessman W. A. Bunker as vice-president. The subsidiaries and related companies included the Riverside Improvement Company which bought the Splitlog tract at the east end of Central Avenue, the West Side Land and Park Company, the Silver Springs Investment Company, the Stover Investment Company, and the Boston Land and Park Company. The latter was a partnership with the Armourdale and Kansas Pacific investors for the development of residential property east of Grandview Park. The company president was Charles Francis Adams Jr., grandson and great-grandson of Presidents and a principal shareholder in the Kansas Pacific. [http://www.wycokck.org/planning/reynolds.htm]  

1890 - June 2. Board ordered family living in old school to leave.  Wanted to put building in order.

July 7. Family using one room.  Promised to leave in a few days.

1890 - From the K. C. Gazette - 1 August 1890:  "District No. 9 has struck a bonanza.  The Union Pacific lands containing their shops and yards which have heretofore been considered a portion of this city, by the recent decision of the supreme court were declared not to be in the city limits.  This leaves them in district No. 9, a small district just west of the city.  At the annual school meeting yesterday it was decided to make a 2 per cent levy.  From this levy they will realize about $10,000 which will be funds sufficient to run their schools for several years."

1891 - December 15. Mr. Serviss of District 9 reported building at 21st and Muncie destroyed by fire. Asked use of old school until new one could be built. Request granted. District 9 paid for use.  Two-room structure erected at 21st and Muncie.

1897 - First graduating exercises held for nine members of class.

1903 - June. Served as relief camp for 500 homeless persons flooded out of Armourdale.

1910:  Became part of the KCKs school district. William Drennon, later attorney for the Board of Public Utilities, was principal.

January 31. Final estimate on addition to school paid. Two rooms had been added. Three classrooms were in use, accommodating 163 pupils. A basement apartment for the janitor consisted of living room, bedroom and kitchen in the newer section.

1919:  Influenza again threatened to erupt in the city.  Dr. L. B. Gloyne, health commissioner, threatened arrest for a prominent doctor who refused to take a culture and who told the patient to tear down the sign.  Swabs were taken from the throats of 135 pupils at Oakland School when a child who lived in the janitor's basement apartment contracted diphtheria.  Eight districts wanted to accept Dr. Gloyne's offer of school medical inspection, but the board said it first would have to consult its attorney.

1920 - Plan to replace Oakland.

Kansan Article: Oakland Protest to Board of Education

Kansan Article:  Board Answers Gloyne

1921 - People asking directions to get to Oakland School were given a start and told to keep on until the reached a building that looked like a summer resort.

1922 - Plans for new building at 18th and Bunker. To be called Louisa M. Alcott for popular children's author.

1923 - September. New brick eight-room building opened. Albert Evans, principal. Old building used as apartment house. To sell old site and building.

1936 - On May, former Oakland and Louisa M. Alcott students held a reunion to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the opening of the school west of the city limits in 1886.  William Drennan, attorney for the Board of Public Utilities, was among the guests.  He had been principal at Oakland in 1909.

1947 - Correspondence with Wyandotte County Clerk indicates that according to warranty abstract, "...it is understood and agreed that if any school house shall be removed there from or if such school site shall at any time be changes or if said land shall ever cease to be used for a school house site... in that case the title thereto shall immediately become vested in said County of Wyandotte for use as a public park and for that use only."

PRINCIPALS

1886 - Dr. J E Kammeyer / 1887-94 - Not indicated / 1895 - Maggie Doran / 1896-1908 - Not indicated / 1909 - William Drennon / 1910 - G W Phillips / 1911 - Gertrude Highleyman / 1912 - Gertrude Highleyman; Janette McKellar / 1913 - Janette McKellar / 1914-25 - Albert Evans / 1925 - See L M Alcott

 

 

 

Page Divider Bar

site search by freefind advanced

Download Adobe Acrobat ReaderLinks using reader are marked ( pdf ).
Click icon to download reader.
Use browser's back button to return

Contact the History Webmaster - Patricia Adams

History Site created on December 02, 2002
Page last updated: 23-Apr-2014

Visit the KCKs Public Schools Homepage