[School History Logo]

The History of our Public Schools
Wyandotte County, Kansas

1844
2012

 

 

Site Navigation: History Homepage / Biographies Index / Building Index of Libraries and Schools / Ethnic History of Schools / FAQs - Did You Know? / First Things First / Historian's Roundtable of Wyandotte County / Maps and Land Records / One-Room Schoolhouses / Picture Gallery / Publications, Online Transcriptions, Links / Queries / Copyright/Disclaimer

Contact the History Webmaster - Patricia Adams

Page Divider Bar

Phillips School

One-room schoolhouse

Location(s): 

SUMMARY

1881 - On Idaho near South Eighth, the Armourdale board rented a track of ground from J. C. Boddington for $75.00 a year, from March 25, 1881 to March, 1895.  John Buckley, in 1881, built a one-room frame on the lot, which served as a school for the colored school.

October: Contract to John Buckley. Named for Wendell Phillips, great abolitionist and writer.

1889 - September: School served African American children from 5th and 6th Wards.

1897 - Decrease in enrollment, but decided to retain.

1903 - July 20: Board bought land of Jenkins and Parsons at Delaware and Third in Armourdale (probably old McAlpine Addition to Armourdale) to build two-room frame building for African American children.

1904 - January 4: Had five grades in two rooms. Old building closed.

April 12: Old Phillips school purchased by John Boddington for $50.

1912:  Decided to combine Phillips and Garrison (in Armstrong area), but record don't tell us if this actually occurred.

1919 - PTA organized. First President: Mrs. N. H. Walker. Charter members: Mrs. N. H. Walker, Mrs. Nellie Jackson, Mrs. Mary Williams, Mrs. Velma Hall, Rev. Lamkins, Rev. Sims, Mrs. Parker and Mrs. Chapple

1920 - Elementary site and building at 5th and Miami to be called Phillips. School in old brick store building that was leased. One class on first floor and another on second floor.

(Note:  Although district records indicate that the brick store building was leased for the school, Mrs. Emma Louise Basket Smith of KCKs states that she attended Phillips for six years beginning with the 1921/1922 school year when she was four.  She states that the building was still in the frame building, not the brick store building, and that there were two rooms with an aisleway between them where all grades were taught.  The frame building had a porch on the front.  Research continues ..... October, 2005)

1931 - June: Phillips children to attend Garrison School (old Armstrong).

1951 - July 12 - Furniture from Phillips moved to the second floor of J J Ingalls School.   Flood destroyed building.

1951 - Overall history on this school's involvement with the 1951 flood.

PRINCIPALS

1881-88 - Not indicated / 1888-91 - J R Harrison / 1891-97 - W G Wood / 1897-1900 - John R Smith / 1900-02 - Tilford Davis, Jr. / 1903-04 - Carrie Kelly / 1904-05 - F L Martin or Bertha Cole / 1905-07 - F L Martin / 1907-10 - Lydia Freeman / 1910-11 - Mabel Madison / 1911-13 - Mary Thomas / 1913-15 - Not indicated / 1915-17 - Katie Miller / 1917-18 - Not indicated / 1918-21 - Leila Miller / 1921-22 - Reuben Brown / 1922-23 - Leila Miller / 1923-24 - S W James / 1924-25 - Daniel Lewis / 1925-32 - Orrin Murray / 1932-39 - Leota Tribue / 1939-45 - A H Harris / 1945-48 - Lela Watson / 1948-50 - Gertrude Evans / 1950-51 - Parizada Mathis

Phillips Enrollment Information (pdf)

15th Annual Report of the Board of Education of the City of Kansas City, Kansas for the year Ending June 30, 1901:  p. 84, First five grades, one room frame.  Eighth Street and Idaho Avenue.  Boundary - Fifth Ward.  Tilford Davis, Jr., Principal

Ward Boundaries

PRESENTING THE PAST by Edwin Dale Shutt, II
History of the Schools:  Part X-Clara Barton, John Fiske, Junction Elementary, J.J. Lewis, Thomas Edison and Carlisle Schools
Silver City Record, Kansas City, KS, 1977

In the 1951 flood, John Fiske suffered heavy damage as did the John J. Ingalls and the Morse School of Armourdale.  The Clara Barton School and Phillips, a Black school, were completely destroyed. 

Page Divider Bar

site search by freefind advanced

Download Adobe Acrobat ReaderLinks using reader are marked ( pdf ).
Click icon to download reader.
Use browser's back button to return

Contact the History Webmaster - Patricia Adams

History Site created on December 02, 2002
Page last updated: 23-Apr-2014

Visit the KCKs Public Schools Homepage