[School History Logo]

The History of our Public Schools
Wyandotte County, Kansas

1844
2012

 

 

Site Navigation: History Homepage / Biographies Index / Building Index of Libraries and Schools / Ethnic History of Schools / FAQs - Did You Know? / First Things First / Historian's Roundtable of Wyandotte County / Maps and Land Records / One-Room Schoolhouses / Picture Gallery / Publications, Online Transcriptions, Links / Queries / Copyright/Disclaimer

Contact the History Webmaster - Patricia Adams

Page Divider Bar

Roosevelt School

Former Roosevelt ElementaryLocation:  1303 N. 36 Street

Other Names:  See Kerr School (Roosevelt replaced Kerr)

Blue Flash Bar Page Divider

SUMMARY

1922 - May. Mr. Beggs, board member, requested that the school replacing Kerr be called Roosevelt in honor of President Theodore Roosevelt.

1909-1925 - Rose/Peterson, Architects - Much sparer in overall design are ten primary and secondary school constructed to meet the demands of a growing population. The use of materials (brick and terra-cotta), frequent application of Classical detailing, and overall plan (which features a two-story rectangular block, three bays wide), are treated similarly in all of these schools. Differing from late nineteenth and early twentieth century design, these schools were planned to provide more light and circulation for the students and staff: Stanley (1913), Whittier II (1919-20), Chelsea II (1921-23), Roosevelt (1922), McKinley, Louisa M. Alcott, and Mark Twain (1922-1924), Major Hudson (1923-24), and Central III (1924) elementary schools and Turner High School, built in 1916-17. The elementary schools were also designed in such a way that they could, if need be, be built in stages, responding to population increases within their service areas.

1921 - A site at 36th and Washington was selected for the new Kerr building.  Patrons asked the board for an auditorium and gymnasium and space to provide hot lunches for children.  In June, Rose and Peterson drew plans for a seven-room school with bath and shower in the nurse's room.

1923 - New building located at 36th and Washington. Site was part of old Grand farm, Woodland Park Addition. First principal in new building was Miss Maude Gray. Six teachers on first faculty taught eight grades.

PTA already organized at Kerr in 1912.

Previous to 1923, was old Kerr School at 3650 State, which was established in 1868 as District 2 of Wyandotte County. First one-room stone building. In 1906, a three-room brick addition was erected. Annexed to the city system in May, 1911.

Mr. F. L. Schlagle, superintendent from 1932 to 1962, was Kerr principal from 1913 to 1916.

When new building was erected, Kerr was used as a casket factory until it burned in 1937.

1925 - Gas and electricity installed

1930 - September: Kindergarten established.

1949 - Six rooms added on second floor.

1953 - Portable building added.

2000 - Building closed as USD 500 school. Students to Chelsea. Building sold.

PRINCIPALS

1923-56 - Maude Gray / 1956-66 - Helen Muncil / 1966-71 - Zella Rough / 1971 - Katherine Selma / 1973-75 - Mildred Hawkins / 1975-77 - Lillie May Budimlija / 1977-84 - Jim Thornton / 1984-89 - Thomas Picklar / 1989-99 - Cheryl Rainey / 1999-2000 - Vercella Sears

Page Divider Bar

site search by freefind advanced

Download Adobe Acrobat ReaderLinks using reader are marked ( pdf ).
Click icon to download reader.
Use browser's back button to return

Contact the History Webmaster - Patricia Adams

History Site created on December 02, 2002
Page last updated: 23-Apr-2014

Visit the KCKs Public Schools Homepage