[School History Logo]

The History of our Public Schools
Wyandotte County, Kansas

1844
2012

 

 

Site Navigation: History Homepage / Biographies Index / Building Index of Libraries and Schools / Ethnic History of Schools / FAQs - Did You Know? / First Things First / Historian's Roundtable of Wyandotte County / Maps and Land Records / One-Room Schoolhouses / Picture Gallery / Publications, Online Transcriptions, Links / Queries / Copyright/Disclaimer

Contact the History Webmaster - Patricia Adams

Page Divider Bar

Snow School

In 1911, the City of Rosedale built Maple Leaf School on Maple Hill, 43rd and Pearl Streets. The School was later named SNOW SCHOOL for Dr. Francis Huntington Show, the Chancellor of Kansas University. "The Winding Valley and The Craggy Hillside", A History of the City of Rosedale, Kansas by Margaret Landis, Kansas City, Kansas, 1976

USD 500 building

The Winding Valley and The Craggy Hillside
A History of the City of Rosedale, Kansas by Margaret Landis.   Copyright 1976. Reproduced on the Kansas City, Kansas Public Library
web site with permission from Ms. Landis.

The picture is Snow School in 1957 - 2605 W. 43 Ave.  The school was renamed in 1959 as Frank Rushton Elementary School.

Location:

Other Names: Maple Leaf School, Frank Rushton and Maccochaque

Snow School w/portagle Bldg used by younger gradesThe property owners were having a difficult time selling their lots because in 1910 there was no school in the community. Children attended Maccochaque, which was a distance away. The Rosedale school board did not favor building at that time, so the property owners, by trading around among themselves, donated several lots for a school. the school board later bought additional lots. Location: 2901 Seneca but also listed as Texas and Minnie. The building was originally called Maple Leaf School. It was at 43rd and Pearl Streets in the Maple Hill area.

Miss Abbie Newton, former Principal at Noble Prentis, boarded at the home of Mr. William Ball, President of the Rosedale school board. His daughter, Elsie, was the primary teacher. One evening while the two girls were studying, Mr. Ball asked them to suggest names for the two new Rosedale schools. A book, written by Noble Prentis, happened to be on the table and this gave Abbie the idea for naming one school. Then Elsie suggested naming the other one for Francis Huntington Snow, Chancellor of the University of Kansas at that time. The girls were quire proud when Mr. Ball told them at breakfast the next morning that the Board had accepted their names.

Blue Flash Bar Page Divider

SUMMARY

1911 - School occupied. Had two rooms, two teachers, six grades. One-story brick. Miss Julia Bonney, first Principal.

1912 - First PTA. First President, Mrs. G. E. DeWolfe.

Building was a one-story brick and named for Francis Huntington Snow, Chancellor of Kansas University. He was supposed to have attended school in Rosedale. Suggestion for naming made by Elsie Ball, daughter of Rosedale School Board President, William Ball. (Date named changed to Snow is unclear in the school records at this time.)

1915 - Second story added. 

1916 - Electricity installed.

1922 - Became part of city system when Rosedale was annexed. Portable building for school.

1924 - First portable building replaced by better one.

1950 - Additional portable.

1955 - New school planned for 43rd and Fisher. Earl R. Wilson and Robert E. Earnheart, architects. William S. Rawlings, contractor.

September: Plans drawn for one-story brick building. Also listed as Fisher and Booth. Site was 6.8 acres.

1956 - December: Children to new Snow School at 2605 W. 43 Street. Nine classrooms, kindergarten, auditorium, library, etc.

1957 - January 2: Classes started in new building. School was ninth project of building program.

February 5: Dedication. Reverend Oscar E. Bonny, speaker.  One-story, nine-room brick school.

April 4: Expansion planned by Wilson and Earnheart, architects, account of purchase of Maccochaque by state.

June: Contract let for nine rooms and kindergarten south of building. L-shaped.

1958 - May 8: Old Snow property located at 43rd Place, Minnie and Texas, sold to Mr. Gerald G. Green.

1959 - February 15: "Marriage of Mr. Snow to Miss Maccochaque." Named Frank Rushton. Students from Snow and Maccochaque to attend Frank Rushton.

bef 1962 - Razed old Snow Elementary building. "Schools in KCKs in Years of Change, 1964-86," by O. L. Plucker, Superintendent Emeritus, June, 1987

PRINCIPALS

1911-16 - Julia Bonney / 1916-19 - June Jewett / 1919-21 - Esther Mitchell / 1921-22 - Margaret McKenzie / 1922-26 - Ella Travis / 1926-34 - Sarah Nelson / 1934-43 - Hazel Meeks / 1943-49 - Mildred Hawkins / 1949-58 - Elizabeth Chittenden

Blue Flash Bar Page Divider

Average Daily Attendance (ADA)
1st, 3rd & 6th Weeks Used
(Kdgn & Special Rms not figured in average)
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
Tot
Tchr
Avg
Kdgn
1922-23
21
47
23
33
19
21
20
184
5
36.8
1923-24
22
27
35
37
34
19
25
199
6
33.2
1924-25
32
22
30
31
33
29
177
6
29.5
1925-26
20
29
25
30
32
34
170
6
28.3
1926-27
42
14
34
24
31
35
180
6
30.0
1927-28
32
32
17
31
24
32
168
6
28.0
1928-29
29
25
26
22
17
27
146
5
29.2
18
1929-30
37
37
38
24
21
18
175
5
35.0
19
1930-31
40
37
36
33
19
14
179
5
35.8
25
1931-32
33
35
32
34
26
19
179
5
35.8
26
1932-33
29
30
33
25
24
24
165
5
33.0
22
1933-34
32
34
36
34
29
25
190
5
38.0
1934-35
35
27
35
31
30
20
178
5
35.6
1935-36
35
30
30
27
30
26
178
5
35.6
27
1936-37
23
32
27
30
21
28
161
4
40.3
22
1937-38
23
22
32
32
20
20
149
4
37.3
24
1938-39
28
27
25
28
24
16
148
4
37.0
27
1939-40
24
29
26
16
23
24
142
4
35.5
22
1940-41
20
20
26
27
19
20
132
4
33.0
24
1941-42
25
20
25
23
22
17
132
4
33.0
26
1942-43
25
21
20
24
23
21
134
4
33.5
31
1943-44
36
22
21
19
19
25
142
4
35.5
34
1944-45
36
33
32
16
18
17
152
4
38.0
25
1945-46
33
28
33
25
20
19
158
5
31.6
33
1946-47
34
31
28
27
26
19
165
5
33.0
27
1947-48
31
29
25
31
27
18
161
5
32.2
28
1948-49
31
24
29
28
24
21
157
5
31.4
30
1949-50
31
29
28
26
29
28
171
5
34.2
25
1950-51
33
33
24
24
27
32
173
6
28.8
31
1951-52
32
26
39
26
22
23
168
6
28.0
36
1952-53
33
33
28
41
36
20
191
6
31.8
51
1953-54
44
32
28
29
37
32
202
7
28.8
37
1954-55
39
37
31
25
29
38
199
7
28.4
32

Newspaper Articles
Pupils of Snow Move to New Building - 21 Dec 1956
To Dedicate New Snow School Tuesday - 3 Feb 1957

SNOW FLURRIES - School Newsletter - 19 Jan 1951

Page Divider Bar

site search by freefind advanced

Download Adobe Acrobat ReaderLinks using reader are marked ( pdf ).
Click icon to download reader.
Use browser's back button to return

Contact the History Webmaster - Patricia Adams

History Site created on December 02, 2002
Page last updated: 23-Apr-2014

Visit the KCKs Public Schools Homepage