[School History Logo]

The History of our Public Schools
Wyandotte County, Kansas

1844
2012

 

 

Site Navigation: History Homepage / Biographies Index / Building Index of Libraries and Schools / Ethnic History of Schools / FAQs - Did You Know? / First Things First / Historian's Roundtable of Wyandotte County / Maps and Land Records / One-Room Schoolhouses / Picture Gallery / Publications, Online Transcriptions, Links / Queries / Copyright/Disclaimer

Contact the History Webmaster - Patricia Adams

Page Divider Bar

Stewart School

One-room schoolhouse

Parkwood Historic District

Location: 9th Street and Quindaro

Built: 1867 - one-room frame building 

Other Names:  Cobb School

Blue Flash Bar Page Divider

SUMMARY

In 1867, a one-room brick school belonging to District #7 was built.  Wyandott City 's population by 1883 had increased to 12,000. Between 1883 and 1885 the city extended its limits from Seventh Street to Ninth Street , physically taking in the old Cobb or Stewart School at Ninth and Quindaro.

From 1885, the Board of Directors (District #7) was in continuous discussion or argument concerning the school. It was located on the Cobb farm of early days and across the road from the Stewart place.  The school had been erected in 1867 and damaged by a cyclone on May 17, 1883. When the school was taken into the city, the trustees of District #7 erected a new building on what became North Twelfth Street.

After the 1886 Consolidation Act incorporating three cities into what we know today as Kansas City, Kansas, a large portion District #7 was in the process of being taken over by the Kansas City BOE (District #1). Judge Miller confirmed the action after the Council took the area into the city on April 24, 1888. However, a few board members of District #7 (in 1888) thought a new building should be erected at Ninth and Quindaro. J. P. Northrup (Board Member, District #1) met with the directors of District #7 and agreed with them to place a value of $3000 on the school. District #7 still wanted to use the building, and Northrup recommended to District #1 that they permit the use of the Stewart (Cobb) building for one year by District #7, who would keep the school in repair, employ the teacher assigned there by the board of education, and allow the smaller children near the building to attend. S. E. Cobb was the teacher. On November 12, Stewart was opened to District #7 children whose parents were willing to pay tuition.

1889 - September 2: Stewart was one of the 13 white districts in the city, with sixty children enrolled.

1894 - October: Superintendent of District #1 recommended that the Board rent the old Stewart School to relieve pressure at Long School.

1895 - By late fall, Superintendent Hanks had visited every school.  Long School needed the old Stewart building to take care of children in the neighborhood. 

1896 - January: City Attorney Pollock wanted old Stewart School for a fire department station.

1897 - May: Tenants in Stewart School building ordered to vacate. August: Conferred with directors of District #7 as to terms for renting schoolhouse.

1900 - August 6:  District #1 Board wanted to ascertain owner of old Stewart School property and to request a price. August 20: Seventy colored children in district. No reply received to request to buy.  It would cost $100 to fix for classrooms. September 3: Price set by District #7 was $1,000. October 15: Property rights in doubt.

1901 - March 4. District #7 refused to pay for tuition for children at Hawthorne .  Kansas City (District #1) said tuition must be paid.

1902 - District #1 Board hired a lawyer in March to look after its interests in the old District #7 property at Ninth and Quindaro, a source of dispute since it was acquired in the mid-eighties. Trouble over an outlawed warrant for $700 claimed by one of the Fergusons was settled in the courts in June 1902.

1903 - April 20: District #1 Board refused offer of $500 from District #7 for pupils to attend city schools. June 8:  Cissna Place and Hazel Rose of District #7 offered $800 for children to attend.  District #1 BOE granted attendance.

1904 - No further mention in board minutes of dealing with District #7.  Bryant School at 17th and Webster was built and pupils assigned there.

PRINCIPALS

1888 - S E Cobb, teacher / 1889 - Miss Espenlaub / 1890 - Ernie Taffe (under direction of Long principal)

Page Divider Bar

site search by freefind advanced

Download Adobe Acrobat ReaderLinks using reader are marked ( pdf ).
Click icon to download reader.
Use browser's back button to return

Contact the History Webmaster - Patricia Adams

History Site created on December 02, 2002
Page last updated: 23-Apr-2014

Visit the KCKs Public Schools Homepage