[School History Logo]

The History of our Public Schools
Wyandotte County, Kansas

1844
2012

 

 

Site Navigation: History Homepage / Biographies Index / Building Index of Libraries and Schools / Ethnic History of Schools / FAQs - Did You Know? / First Things First / Historian's Roundtable of Wyandotte County / Maps and Land Records / One-Room Schoolhouses / Picture Gallery / Publications, Online Transcriptions, Links / Queries / Copyright/Disclaimer

Contact the History Webmaster - Patricia Adams

Page Divider Bar

Northwest Middle School

Northwest Jr. High

  Northwest Middle School Homepage

KCK Schools Wearing Uniforms

Picture Gallery

The Junior High Schools of Kansas City, Kansas (pdf)
by R. L. Lyman, University of Chicago

Location:  18th and Haskell

Other Names:  Northwest Junior High School

In 1925, the first yearbook, Nor'Wester, was published as related in the "Foreword".  Courtesy of Mrs. Tena Solon Masson. Click here to view information from the yearbook.

From the 1925 Nor'Wester Year Book . . . "Northwest Junior High School was organized in September, 1923.  The building was not completed when school began.  Half day sessions were held in the Kansas City, Kansas High School building at Ninth and Minnesota avenue. 

The high school met in the morning and Northwest in the afternoon.  This is the first year in our new building but the second year the school has been organized.  Northwest is a four-story building located at Eighteenth street and Haskell avenue.  It is one of the finest school buildings in the city and is equipped with many up-to-date devices for proper ventilation, heating and lighting.  There are thirty class rooms in the building, an auditorium, which seats about nine hundred students, and a large gymnasium and cafeteria.  Around the building are seven and one-half acres for playground use.

Northwest has a school paper, the Nor'wester, which was judged the best junior high paper in the state of Kansas.  It was also judged as an "All-American" paper at the national convention at Madison, Wisconsin.  The boys basketball team won the district championship and received a silver loving cup.  They were then eligible to enter the state tournament held at Emporia.

We have a school cafeteria which has been a great success.  A picture machine was bought this year.  Part of the funds raised from the operetta and gym show given last year helped pay for this.  The work of beautifying the school grounds was carried on under the direction of Miss Katherine P. Ewell, community civics instructor.

One of the outstanding characteristics of Northwest this year is the spirit of co-operation which prevailed."

SUMMARY

1859 - Patent dated June 1, 1859, Recorded July 29th, 1887; Competent Class "A"; Patent Book, Page 89. 1859 - Pursuant to the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Articles of the Treaty concluded January 31, 1855, between the U. S. Commissioners and the Wyandott Indians, a return dated April 14, 1859, from the Commissioner of Indian affairs has been made to the General Land Office embracing a transcript entitled "Wyandotte Reserves Competent Class Book A" designating the several allotments of land awarded to heads of families and individuals of said tribe, and that the following allotment of land laid down on the plat accompanying said return as No. 89 has been made to John Hicks, the head of a family consisting of himself, Mary, William, Henry, Katilda, Virginia and Francis Hicks (later Wyandot Chief).   (Signed by President James Buchanan, Secretary J. A. B. Leonard, and Recorder of the General Land Office, I. N. Granger) (containing 129 acres)

1922 - Ground purchased at 18th & Haskell

1923 - September. New building not ready. Northwest Junior was organized in the old Wyandotte High School building, 9th and State, In September of 1923; and remained in that building until May 1, 1924, when the school was transferred to the new building at 18th and Haskell Ave.

1909-1925 - Rose/Peterson, Architects - The design of two junior high schools from this period, Northwest (1922-23) and the more elaborately detailed Northeast (1923-24), employed those elements common to the elementary schools, while expanding the width to five bays and adding additional stories.

NOTE: From the Historical and Architectural Survey, KC Planning & Zoning, Phase 4, 1994: Rose and Peterson, Architects.  Northwest Junior High School was designed in 1922-23, with additions in 1939 and 1960. Joseph W. Radotinsky and the firm of Radotinsky, Meyn & Deardorff, respectively designed the additions. Symmetrical in design, this structure features constasting color brickwork in a diamond pattern encircling the building near the roof line. Stone columns flanking a prominent main entry, stone quoining, water table, cornice table and rusticated ground level are other notable features.

1924 - Probably January. Building occupied by 7th and 8th grades from six schools. Mr. A. W. Allen first principal; 29 teachers in 29 rooms.

March 24. First PTA. Mrs. S. V. Hays, president.

1928 - First public address system to be installed in Kansas City schools.

1933 - Two portable buildings added.

1939 - Seven-room brick addition erected.

1951 Flood - We offered our facilities so far as possible to the stricken industries of Kansas City. Monday, July 16, we opened the Northwest Junior High School to the General Motors, Buick, Oldsmobile, Pontiac Plant.  They installed their temporary offices, an engineering unit, a personnel unit, and an inoculation unit.  Permission had previously been granted to use the grounds at Northwest Junior for parking motor cars salvages from the plant.  Mr. Ed Richter arranged for the use of Northwest Junior, and the building is under the supervision of K. H. Middleton, Assistant Personnel Director.

1959 - Addition planned. Permission obtained to encroach on 18th Street ten feet beyond legal limit. To have four classrooms, two music rooms, gymnasium and cafeteria. Raymond Meyn, architect.

1961 - January 19. Whole building occupied. Had been on half day sessions. Delayed by construction strike.

1970 - Boundary change between Northwest and Central Junior to alleviate overcrowding. Seventh graders in Mark Twain and McKinley attendance zones to Central.

1971 - Boundary change because of overcrowding.  Fairfax assigned to Northwest Junior.

1982 - 9th grade transferred to senior high schools. Changed to middle school serving grades 6-8.

Northwest - 20032002 - Voters approved a proposed $120 million bond issue at the Municipal Election Tuesday (April 3, 2001) to air-condition schools, improve technology, and make other upgrades to schools and public libraries. Northwest was part of Phase II, which was completed in the summer of 2002.

PRINCIPALS

1924-56 - A. W. Allen / 1957-64 - G. W. Corporon / 1964-69 - William J. McIntire / 1969-87 - Carl B. Bruce / 1987-94 - Leslie L. Brown / 1994-97 - Doug Bolden / 1997-99 - Rotier Daniel / 1999-2002 - Al Hunt / 2003-2006 - Laurie Boyd / 2006 - Earl Williams / 2008 - Donnie Mitchell

Page Divider Bar


Download Adobe Acrobat ReaderLinks using reader are marked ( pdf ).
Click icon to download reader.
Use browser's back button to return

Contact the History Webmaster - Patricia Adams

History Site created on December 02, 2002
Page last updated: 02-Jan-2012

Visit the KCKs Public Schools Homepage