Site Navigation: History Homepage / Biographies Index / Building Index of Libraries and Schools / Ethnic History of Schools / FAQs - Did You Know? / First Things First / Historian's Roundtable of Wyandotte County / Maps and Land Records / One-Room Schoolhouses / Picture Gallery / Publications, Online Transcriptions, Links / Queries / Copyright/Disclaimer
Schlagle High School
Location: 2214 North 59th Street
Named after F.L. Schlagle, former superintendent of schools (1932-1962).
Opening of the school was accompanied by a major shift in attendance zones between the old Washington district and the old USD #500. The Schlagle zone was carved from the Washington and Wyandotte areas, but in addition, a major part of the Wyandotte zone lying generally north of Quindaro Boulevard and east as far as 12th Street was attached to the Washington zone. The effect of those changes was to increase significantly the numbers and proportions of Black students at Washington, to reduce the Black enrollment at Wyandotte and to establish an integrated student body at Schlagle. "Schools in KCKs in Years of Change, 1962-86," by O. L. Plucker, Superintendent Emeritus, June, 1987
1993 - Began Communication Arts and Technologies Magnet Program. First year, 9th grade only. One grade added each year until program serves grades 9-12 in 1997-98.
1997 - Phase out of current magnet theme at 4 high schools.
2004: June - Students in a special education class at Schlagle High School donated 42 quilts they made to Children's Mercy Hospital and the Pediatric Unit at the University of Kansas Medical Center. This was a year-long community service projected funded by a $1,500 Excellence in Teaching grant.
Wesley R. Channell / Paul E. Palmer / 1987-91 - Carl B. Bruce / 1991-95 - Carol Le Var / 1995-97 - Emerson Payne / 1997-2009 - Doug Bolden / 2010 - Maria Pietz
History Site created on December 02, 2002
Page last updated: 02-Jan-2012