[School History Logo]

The History of our Public Schools
Wyandotte County, Kansas

1844
2012

 

 

Site Navigation: History Homepage / Biographies Index / Building Index of Libraries and Schools / Ethnic History of Schools / FAQs - Did You Know? / First Things First / Historian's Roundtable of Wyandotte County / Maps and Land Records / One-Room Schoolhouses / Picture Gallery / Publications, Online Transcriptions, Links / Queries / Copyright/Disclaimer

Contact the History Webmaster - Patricia Adams

Page Divider Bar

West Middle School

West Middle School - front - 2003

The Junior High Schools of Kansas City, Kansas (pdf)
by R. L. Lyman, University of Chicago

KCK Schools Wearing Uniforms

Location:  2600 North 44 Street

Other Names:  West Junior High School

In 1953, 20 acres were purchased for the site at 43rd and Georgia.

 

West Middle School - side/back - 20031956: The building was erected with 26 rooms. The building had 23 teachers. Joseph Radotinsky was the architect.  Assume named because location was at the west end of the city.

The first principal of West Middle School was Lawson M. Roberts who also served as principal of West Elementary before the name was changed to William Allen White. West Elementary School (now named William Allen White Elementary School) was included in the plans and built physically next door to West Middle. 

In October of that year, the PTA at West was organized and Mrs. Peter Carr was president. An open house was held on November 15.

1959: Addition to the West complex, and the library wing were erected.

2002:  Voters approved a proposed $120 million bond issue at the Municipal Election Tuesday (April 3, 2001) to air-condition schools, improve technology, and make other upgrades to schools and public libraries. West was part of Phase II, which was completed in the summer of 2002.

2004: Received a "Great IDEAS" grant (funded/sponsored by the Ewing Marion Kauffman Fund) for the 2004-05 school year, which encourages teachers in SLC's (Small Learning Communities) to work together to develop innovative programs and projects to improve student learning.  Received $5,000.

PRINCIPALS

1956-73 - Lawson M. Roberts / 1973-76 - Jerry Bonner / 1976-86 - Carl Snyder / 1986-90 - Ben Harding/ 1990-95 - Steve Gering / 1995-96 - Dr. Gerald Lewis / 1996-2001 - Bob Edwards / 2001-2005 - Steve Bock / 2005 - Shelly Beech

Page Divider Bar


Download Adobe Acrobat ReaderLinks using reader are marked ( pdf ).
Click icon to download reader.
Use browser's back button to return

Contact the History Webmaster - Patricia Adams

History Site created on December 02, 2002
Page last updated: 02-Jan-2012

Visit the KCKs Public Schools Homepage